Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

For the love of Mom..

How often do I talk to my mom? Honestly, living at a distance has limited our communications to a quick note to arrange visits and then a chat when we see each other.. perhaps 4 times a year. It just doesn't seem enough. And if Im not talking to mom much.. who the hell am I talking to?  Save myself and the 6 people I have in my my immediate daily life... survey says.. No One! Not even my brother. Not even my closest peeps! Not even my grandparents!  And that just sucks!  Despite living in the digital age where the world is rendered smaller by the flick of a switch. Im still worlds apart from my loved ones.

Here it is a turning of the seasons.. the vernal equinox.. a time to moving into introspective space and already I have been doing just that. Taking stock of where and how my energy flows. Thinking of vehicles of communication, my personality and my existing relationships. How can I best utilize the tools at my disposal?? Where do I fall short?? What is missing?? How can I improve??  Time is sparse and I am motivated by a fierce need to streamline and communicate more depth effectively.

You ask what about quick phone calls? Anxiety.. a laugh or chuckle from me (they come easily) and the words coming through from the other side are lost. What did you say? What was that? Confusion ensues and the interruption to the natural flow of the conversation is  disconcerting. Stressful. And don't begin to ask me how well conversations go with someone hard of hearing..  and so I go running away from the phone. Its not the tool for me.

Facebook?? haha!! You can't truely understand someone off facebook. That is not to say that it doesn't create some sense of connection. It does but, like the phone, it is only partially effective in creating deep connections. Facebook scratches the surface of a persons personality (assuming facebook is not filtering who and what you see.. but we all know it plays censor and manipulates your view ) but it doesn't offer much in the way of depth. Plus mom is not on there nor is brother. It has its place but it is one of play and leisure and advertisement but not of true communication. Ill keep it around as it is sometimes handy but its not the tool Im looking for.. not for this.

twitter? 50 letters doesn't really make for a conversation. Twitter for me is a place to make note of mood or "in the moment" music as the case may be but I find no real use in it for communicating like I would like to do. I have however adjusted this blog to stream my twitter feed. Just for the hell of it.

Letter Writing?? Back in the day when loved ones found their way out into the world all they had to do was send one letter home and mom or lover would read the words and spread the news of events. My mind specifically thinks of  soldiers prior to the electronic revolution. They were busy fighting or surviving and didn't have much time to write everyone individually. Im not going to draw the parallel to me and a guy in a trench. My life is no where near that horror but the fact remains that I am busy... extremely busy and dedicated to a cause: the raising of my children right and in doing so I don't have the time to send out personal correspondence to all those I hold dear... and there are quite a few of those as my heart is large and roomy! And sending a letter soley to mom wont spread the word as so many of those that are dear are spread far and wide.

So here I am... A new blog with the express purpose of sharing my life and occasionally twisted sense of humor directly with my family and friends far and wide. I intend to create a substantial "communication -home" at least once a month. There may be other news briefs sprinkled in between the larger efforts... As time and energy dictate. I will be sending emails out those who wish to hear when I post that way I know they can be listening if they want. Through-out I will be using pseudonyms for those who work their way into my stories... you will be introduced to those as they come up. And I will be attempting to keep personal markers to a minimum.  The internet is not always a safe place and its good to practice caution (Mom this is especially for you who I know you are prone to great concern about internet safety) however one can also not hide from the world completely either and in this as in most everything I have nothing to hide. So, while I will be wise with what I share, I will not be obsessed with creating a complete sense of anonymity. Doing so would only render my fingers and tongue mute and haven't I been quiet too long already?

What topics will I avoid? I plan to keep this space respectable. I may rant about political or social issues that are of a volitile nature but I don't expect it to be doing so often. Id rather live in opposition to the infections that plague our world by making choices that hinder their progress and then share those victories here in celebration rather then feed into the decay with my anger and fear.  OH.. and not that it needs stating but I plan to keep most of my clothes on as well. At least I will try.

Those are the ground rules. I think I can stick to them.

Welcome to my new blog.
 Love you Mom!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your new Blog! Any and all your words and updates are always a welcomed joy and much appreciated, in what ever medium. You are amazing! Miss u & luv u, Lisa & Megs

    ReplyDelete