Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Transitions

I woke this morning to the soft morning light filtering through sheer champagne colored crepe drapes. You don't need much else in Portland to block out the sun as it is continually obscured by grey clouds. I did not come here with the illusion of it being sunny and bright. My formative years spent in this area, I knew better but I failed to remember just how dreary it really is. I suppose my being here for a funeral service might add to that impression but Im here to honor a life and not wallow in grief so I don't think it is that. It simply is dreary. And as I reflect I can remember the joy I felt at 6 to see the sun those 3 days a year the clouds actual parted. I often think of home as always grey and foggy. Perhaps compared to the high desert that is true but in reality, the peninsula is quite bright considering. Regardless of the gloom (environmental and situational), I intend to make this a trip to happily remember.. reuniting with family will bring the biggest joy. I am also going to get in a visit with an old HS friend, Rebecca, who lives in the area. I am looking forward to it all. In other news, big changes are sweeping through our household. We are looking to buy a house. The reasons are multifaceted. First there is the fact that we are paying way more a month in rent than we would be paying a mortgage. Interest rates are low. We have put off the idea until now because of our previous home owning situation and the understanding that Greg's time with his company at this location is not guaranteed and in the future we may be faced with another long distance transition. But really... should we suffer a massive payment going towards nothing every month just because we don't know what direction life is going to take 1 year, 5, or 10 down the road? The only issue is finding a home that will work for us. We want something with more space and probably further off the peninsula and closer to San Jose. If/when a job change becomes necessary being closer to the job market in the city will be a boon.

No comments:

Post a Comment