Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

I cry uncle and brush the dust off

I have returned. Why here and not on the Sauerkraut and Sausages blog? Well this doesn't seem to fit with the theme of "Our Deutsche Adventures". This post is more reflective and personal and its in line with my past use of this space. I need a place to stretch myself beyond the "this and that" of  the everyday even if the everyday is rather extraordinary and amazing and I can't believe that it is really my life. Anyway,,, 

My grandmother was a woman who was always reading the signs. I find I am much like her in that regard .. and in others. How easily the words "nocternal recluse" could apply to me if I let them and perhaps they will once my child rearing responsibilities are through.. but I digress.  Lately I have been contemplating connections and asking for signs and direction. And I have been getting them. A pair of ravens sitting on the fence watching the house. A quote that appeared seemingly out of no where. And most recently, yesterday, while on a contemplative walk through the park, a tree branch fell at my feet. I had been reflecting on a recent change in my personal path. The branch was in the shape of the Rune Elhaz  and was far too large and imposing to be dismissed. This is not a rune I have worked much with in the past but it is a paired with Sowilo (the sun rune with which I am quite familiar) So anyway, a quick study of Elhaz indicated that it signifies a beneficent new influence, willing sacrifice, the exchange of lesser for greater good. It is a sign of protection. It speaks of walking through these reeds that when forced will slice you like papercuts but if you move softly they will bend and yield.  I take it to mean that my change in course is for the best. I am no longer pressing an issue but have yielded to the elements at hand. Why bleed when I don't need to.  And despite a change in course, I know my destination really hasn't changed. My getting there now rests more in divine hands. 

"Elk´s sedge has its home / most often in the fen / it waxes in the water / and grimly wounds / and burns with blood / any man / who in any way / tries to grasp it"
(Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem)



No comments:

Post a Comment