Pages

Friday, December 2, 2016

Inked

I got a tattoo. And like with everything I do.. well.. Go big or Go Home.  Its healing now. Still sore from the needle and I know that soon it will be itching like a son of gun. But everything comes with a price and I am most willing to pay it.

There are some key elements to the art work that now adorns my left forearm. For starters it has a bird. 
The bird is a skylark.. sort of a totem animal for me. 


Some have described this bird as a "Punk Thrush" because it has a little mohawk. After the artist got done with the outline I realized that the placement of some feathers made it look as though the bird had a ginormous set of balls. Quite fitting in my mind. When I went in for the coloring I asked him to leave it as it was. I explained that it added character. He didn't understand.. But being German this was to be expected but he left it alone anyway.


Another element of the design is the rainbow radiating out of the lighthouse. The rainbow is styled in the Bauhaus tradition of Herbert Bayer's Chromatic Twist (1970).

Inline image 1

As Weimar is the home of the Bauhaus movement, I thought it a fitting symbol of our time in Germany. It is also a symbol of "Hope"  and of dreams that carry me through life and feed my soul. 

Some day we'll find it. The rainbow connection. The lovers, the dreamers and me. La da da di da da dum da duh da da dum di da ohhh 

The words "Chasing Rainbows all my days" are lyrics from the Iron Maiden song, Ghost of the Navigator.  This song speaks of Homers Odyssey.  It is a personal anthem of sorts. Paying tribute to the epic adventure that has so far been my life. 

And now for the big colorful reveal:



Now that it is done, I set my sails for new lands and new adventures. Come what may. 

No comments:

Post a Comment