Mmmmm... let me tell you!! This weekend I didn't do any cooking at all actually. Instead, others cooked for me and it was fantastic! Saturday we made our way to the U.s where smiles, wonderful conversation and the smell of spices greeted us as we were introduced to Tanzanian food. The U.s often open their home to foreign guests (whether through church, rotatory or school programs) and had the opportunity host some ladies from Tanzania Africa some time back. Id name the dishes but I don't know them. All I can really tell you is that we experienced four separate authentic dishes. One was a spiced rice dish. Another was a relatively simple beef dish which ranked up there in terms of flavor with many Indian dishes I have experienced (my mouth waters at the thought!). The other two plates were composed of almost identical ingredients (Cabbage, carrots and the like) yet the method of preparation rendered each one uniquely flavorful and delicious. A better home cooked Saturday feast would be hard to come by and a great many thanks go out to your friends for having us over. Also, Im looking forward to gleaming all the cooking and canning lessons I can from Mama U!
Sunday was spent in the company of our Young Viking Club. We took a long laborious hike in Carmel Valley , discussed some plants and their uses, and then returned to the club house for some ax throwing and cooking. Having a number of relatively un-experienced hands in the kitchen meant careful consideration as to what would be attempted. Chicken Little baked bread from scratch. Little Tree Climber and Hummingbird whipped up meat loaf. (The disgusted looks on their faces when they put their hands in to mix was utterly hilarious) and Hallo (hummingbirds brother) who takes to the kitchen like he does video games (with rapt intent hence the name) was put on spicy green bean duty. It was a most satisfying meal. Part of earning their cooking point was in the cleaning up as well. Can't complain about that! It was a marvelous feast.
Fall is officially here? How do I know? My CSA (community supported Agriculture) delivered .. to my doorstep.. my weekly vegetables last week which included butternut squash. So Monday I whipped up my favorite spicy butternut squash soup with cayanne, cloves, ginger and nutmeg. Its creamy delight!
After such indulgence, I hit the gym with revived gusto! Let me tell you.. ow! ow! ow! The day after burn makes me super aware of every move I make. But in that ever so good way were the pain is a reminder of work well done and muscles being developed. No pain no gain. However, I don't want to pack on too much definition before I loose more of what I got and don't need. Its a process but damn it feels good.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My brother, Bad Billy Goat, and I.. somewhere near the start of the year.. began discussing our favorite movies. He asked me what I thought of his top 10 but it has taken me quite some time to start to address them, not being the biggest thing on my priority list, however, it had taken me waaaayyy to long to get to it. But finally I have begun the process of reviewing his top 10 and offering my reviews. Below is the first:
"Brothers don't shake hands.. Brothers Hug!"
Ok Bro.. What the heck is up with Tommy Boy making your top 10 favorite movies list?!?! To start. after a quick look at the rest of your movie choices ... (See below)... or at least on the impression of the ones I know... I was truly expecting it to be a work of historical fiction .. you know something about the guy who created the tommy gun or some such. Instead I wind up watching a slapstick comedy starting David Spade and Chris Farley. These guys are not your typical dramatic actors to be sure. However, I must admit they made a comedy pairing very much in line with Jim Belushi and Dan Aykrod. I must say, this is truly a movie worthy of the USA channel .. well it would be if there was Rutger Howard and some nudity thrown it. One thing I appreciate about your list is that the majority of your films are family friendly. The kids enjoyed the watch as well. But alas, it didn't impress me enough to come close to finding a place in my heart but it did give me a few good deep chuckles. Now Im off to check out number 9.. Dirty Harry. I know that one, but honestly don't know if I have ever watched the entire thing. Ill get back to you on it. :) Love you Bad BIlly Goat!
1. Braveheart
2. Last of the Mohiccans
3. The Natural
4. Saving Private Ryan
5. Fight Club
6. The Departed
7. The Outlaw Josie Whales
8. Field of Dreams
9. Dirty Harry
10. Tommy Boy
(P.S. Queenly enough for you, Bro?)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love to read. It however has been one of those things that I put aside as "not necessarily a priority". However, since we are going to the gym regularly, I find myself often trapped on a cardo machine for 45 minutes or so at a time. And you know the last thing I want to think about is what Im doing.. "ow.. ow.. I don't want to do this. Id be so much happier off this damn thing. Im going to fall over. pant pant sweat sweat." How nice it is to escape into the worlds between the pages or drifting on the music I have mixing. I greatly appreciate these moments. So ... here is a book review!
The Fifth Sacred Thing
This book was recommended to me by a dear friend from Hawaii who thought I might find it quite inspiring. I don't recommend it for everyone as it does have some strong graphic violence and strong sexual content. In this provocative book, written by Starhawk, we are introduced to the world of California approx. 30 years in our future. A world which is dramatically different though not entirely improbable. Her vision of the world supposes that the ecosystem, as well the government, experience a complete collapse. Its not too far fetched in its portrait of what would result in a world whose oil reserves completely depleted. Without alternative energy sources in place to supplement our power needs not only would vehicles be a thing of the past but our ability for long distance communication would be thrust into the dark ages. In addition, the loss of electricity would effect our ability to divert water were we want and need it. Essentially she pictures much of Southern California drying up and the competition for resources creating a war zone where those who"have"are morally bankrupt and depraved. Nestled in the midst of this mass chaos, pain, hunger, thirst and struggle, San Francisco, which has managed to survive all these challenges with hard work,and with their spirit of cooperation with each other and nature. This does not mean life is easy for them but when compared to southern end of the state (if not the world) .. they are far from impoverished. Its a rather Utopian environment but war is on its way. The desire for water is so great that those in power in the south seek it out with unrelenting veal with no consideration that their actions are actually detrimental to the long term sustainability of water resources everywhere they inhabit. The major question that is posed is how should a non aggressive, communal, free-lovin (did you note the caution at the beginning?), peaceful Earth nurturing people combat the threat that sit poised and ready to strike at their doorstep. Its a good read on all accounts. If anything, it offers a solid reminder that in these times we need to make it our personal duties to build our local relationships, to create our own gardens, develop methods of water collection and work to be prepared .. because eventually our way of life (whether from natural, man made or governmental forces or a combination of all) is going to change. A look at history confirms that change is the only thing we can count on and we need to be working to be far more self sufficient.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a bit more from/about the key note speaker from the Surfrider Conference I recently attended regarding his studies of the tsunami debris wish is currently beginning to wash ashore in Hawaii.
http://honoluluweekly.com/feature/2012/09/the-hidden-tsunami-of-debris/
Id take a moment to talk more about what is going on with the local chapter, however, I have more to do in that regard than I have the time to write about it. My plate is full. But its fullness is in working to develop others who will take a small share of the load and do those individual chores more thoroughly than I juggling the myriad of responsibilities that I do. And with that it back to the trenches where the kids and papa are completely dug in and building brick houses..
Night Mom!
p.s. I have now dubbed Papa "sticky pistons" Its not as bad as it sounds... I assure you! Love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment