Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Well what do you know?! ... or... As the tides flow

Its been a crazy few .. has it been 2 weeks or only one week?.. I don't know how long its been since I sat at the keyboard to send you a few strokes.. but I know it has been too dang long! Anyway.. We have been immersed in life and setting some courses.

First things first.   There was Connors Mindcraft birthday party. I created a pretty cool snack table and "cake"  (jello and rice crispy bars and cake).  Greg has the pictures and someday Ill get them downloaded. There was a huge bounce house. Connor has never had one and has always begged and I don't expect he will ever get one again.. he's getting to old for them... and soooo .. eh.. what the heck.. a little indulgence! :) The boys were interesting to watch but we occasionally had to intervene  when one's Bruce/Hulk began to met another's  jykle/hyde. We didn't want blood drawn at the party! But anyway.. it was interesting to see how quickly boys can flip from passive to aggressive. All told it was a very pleasant party. Everyone had fun and there were no real injuries. Whew!

Now in the midst of planning and executing Connors Party, we have been chasing down our High School options for Willow (and possible school courses for Con as well). This meant that the morning of Connors party I took them both to a private college prep school to the north of us for placement testing and then we returned Wednesday morning for entrance interviews. Here is the link mom..  The school boasts the number one choir in the state. There is horse riding in PE. Students uniforms are as follows.. anything as long as it is crisp clean and modest. Much of the reading and homework is done on Ipads and they are planning to  begin to integrate Google glass into the classroom soon.  If a time should come when we would have to move.. she could board there and get a continual HS experience.. If doing so was the right option anyway. And undoubtedly the curriculum and education she will get there will prepare her for college and a career in the sciences which is what she aspires for.  Our interviews went well. Willow was easily recommended for admissions. The existing 8th grades  have priority for seats in the HS until the end of January. So by mid February Willows seat should be secure! WOOT! She will be able to take a bus to and from school from a stop just 4 blocks from Gregs work. Nice.

Now on to Connor... As wonderful as this school is.. it may not be the best fit for him. At least not right now. He has the character for the school, he is motivated to do and be his best, but he would be quite outpaced in the college prep atmosphere.  I think that kind of pressure would be negative and weighs heavier than the good that can come from switching his schools at this point. So the plan is that next year he will continue at his existing school. This will also be good for him as he is such a social creature and he has a good little group of friends there that I would not mind him growing up a bit more with. His only sorrow that comes with this decision is in the knowledge that he will be separating from "Sissy farts a lot." But it would happen sooner than later and as she is going off to High school.. now is a good time.. as hard as it might be.

And I have been in the midst of a cleaning/rearranging frenzy. Dervish winds ablowing... and speaking of winds.. I hear there is some incredible surf out there (Mavericks this weekend I hear).. Drool!

But first work.. A surfrider blast to put out, a Tardis to Build (belated Christmas gift!! Really need to finish it!), some geese to water, Appts to make, a sick kid to watch, and an overnight research trip to Donner for homework.   Sunday I need to make a much deserved play date with Asilimar!  ~:)~




No comments:

Post a Comment