Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

dont hold the wall

Mothers Day.. it was a Sunday like most. There were chores, homework, meals to cook. Just because its a commercialized hallmark holiday does not mean that the work stops. Greg even had to go into the plant.  But despite the familiar routine Sunday did provide some excitement. Willow made an embroidered  case for my glasses. And Connor woke me at 5 am in the midst of the worst asthma attack he has had since he was 3.  It knocked him down hard and I spent the day on the threshold of rushing him to the hospital. So thankful for inhalers! Really I spent Mothers day doing what great mothers do.. saving and supporting lives one inhaler puff and one school problem at a time. And I know that if it is not entirely appreciated now.. Willow is not taking my instructions seriously so I am having to get serious with her and she is not liking it so much.. It will be appreciated much later. I which point I turn to my mother directly and say "Thanks Mom. You did a pretty Fucking Fantastic Job!"  .. yes I just said that to my mom. Greg just died. Mom is shocked. Such Language. However, I say so under the guise of science. According to recent research.. "You build up sort of an arousal level with whatever that emotion you're feeling and then, when you release that by swearing, it vents that emotion, whatever that emotion is," said Dr. Timothy Jay, a psychologist and the author of the book, "Why We Curse.""  And so here on this blog and into the digital void  I vent "MOTHER FUCKING LOVE!"  :P but seriously  I scream it out for all the Moms I know and those I don't and those that are dead and those to come who give it their all.  What a job. 

Anyway, I did take a minute on Sunday to do a little something for myself. I quietly and unceremoniously deleted my fb account. It was not done without serious consideration. I have been contemplating it for awhile. And my reasons were thus;  ads and commercialization. I looked up some random medical thing and next thing I knew every third post in my feed is a health ad somehow related. That coupled with the knowledge that only about 1 in 4 posts from non commercial, non for profits actually come across peoples feed. Naw.  Commercialization and commerce sicken me. I consider it a true evil and seek to avoid it and I have been itching to leave for awhile. But I had to consider if the benefit of being connected with my friends that way countered it.  And after lengthy contemplation I realized that these relationships are rather shallow. That is not to say that FB has not put me back in contact with people I cherish. It has. And if I cherish them then their contact info has made its way past the wall and found a home in my address book. Or if need be I can find someone who knows how to get in touch with them. So what am I doing  hanging on the wall getting thumb cramps from wasted minutes scrolling? And That was the kicker right there. After complaining about not having enough time , I decided to take a look at how I spend my time and I realized that depending on the flow of the day I typically scroll an hour a day. 10 minutes every couple awake hours..  ultimately wasted.  There is to much to do to waste so much time.

 Now I will admit that I will miss Coach Q's Mustache. He was my funniest friend and kept me up on Blackhawks News. But I have other (if less funny) outlets to get my updates when I happen to miss (which is rare) a game as the cup finally comes into view!!  Despite a small jonesing I have really not missed it. And it doesn't seem as if anyone really misses me.  Fare thee FB peeps. Some of it has been fun but mostly its just been dumb. Adios Mustachios! 

And while I was dumping FB I also made some other digital adjustments. I had made another acct to handle my vid posts here in order to learn how to work the buttons. I dropped it to simplify life and will interweave that from within one acct from here on out. 

And that sums up mothers day. Other stuff has been going on. We are fast approaching the end of the school year when activities get cranked up a notch. The final push, Graduation  and a school trip to Great America. I found an old video of my 8th grad graduation and shared it with Willow. She was shocked I showed so much leg. That skirt would never have been allowed under todays more strict school dress codes! She thought the hair styles were hilarious. There was also footage of my grandpas 60th birthday. Wow Flash Back... I am surprised I wasn't wearing my Morris The Cat Shirt. Grandpas name is Morris  haha. Anyway...  I think I have quite a little  nugget of goodness there to share at his next party! 

My friends mother has a bed opening up for her at an Alzheimers care facility tomorrow.  She has become quite attached to me. She can't remember that she spends most of the day with me but she enjoys her time drinking tea and simply hanging around with me.  Susan said that when they are out her mom thinks that every woman she sees might be me and every child might be one of mine. Its sweet in its disjointed foggy way. 

Well thats the update. Till the next one... 

P.S. I learned that my mother was a little upset by my blog about my trip to NV. I told her to allow me room for creative expression. My writing aimed to embrace the style and flavor of the beat writers that I was reading. Given her response... I guess I did quite well!! ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment