Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

It Takes Both Sunshine and Rain to Make a Rainbow

Our new years celebration didn't go quite as planned. Some friends of willow from school last year where having a sleep over and so we started out enjoying a pot luck dinner with the parents of her friend group. The majority being teachers and school administrators who all worked at the school the kids went to last year which offered a nice common starting ground. If we lived closer I am quite certain I would be in the book club. 

The remaining three of us left with the intention of checking into our hotel and heading out to enjoy the local tradition known as First Night (an alcohol free celebration of the arts which encompasses all of old Monterey) and cross over the threshold into 2015 on ice skates.  I had booked us with a hotel which was affiliated with the event but it turned out to be  some 4 miles away and  was not offering shuttle service to the event. We could have gotten a taxi but settled instead for frolicking/relaxing in the heated pool and Jacuzzi and by the time we were done it was far too late to try and get to town.  So we curled up in our pj's and cheered it in with some beer our landlord had gifted us. Well not Connor. He doesn't drink but he did pass out right quick.

The new year has already provided us a wonderful gift.. Our leach lines have finally been laid out and backfilled. It turned out that the property is situated on/near a shallow slab of granite bedrock which was causing issues so the leach line had to be run for a distance to allow for drainage. I am very happy to finally able to use the tub without worrying about or creating backup issues! 2 years almost just looking at and dreaming about using it...and I LOVE baths!
Look at how inviting it is!



Anyway.. so the year is starting off wonderful and wet.

And speaking of baths.. A quick trip for the kids and I to LA area is in the planning stage to visit an old friend, take in a sound bath (A meditation session that uses gongs and bowls) and then spend a day at an expo where I hope to catch a lecture by a solar scientist that I greatly respect.

I have always been a sun worshiper... Admiration and gratitude extended  quietly outward every sunrise and sunset while I drink in the glorious and stunning displays.


 I have always been a star gazer.. intrigued by the mystery.. the totally beyond-our-comprehension enormity of the universe .. Caught up in the grind of life here on earth we easily ignore its existence.. its influence.. Did you know that in a solar flare all of the elements in the periodic table are emitted. Born of star stuff... we are children of the cosmos. As I see it, contemplation of the universe is contemplation of Divinity.

Anyway I digress! Fun times are in the works. For now, we have returned to our regularly scheduled programming.. jumping into work and school. We put away all the Christmas decorations and then Connor got busy exploring the art of bead work. I think he was impressed with his creation.


While he attended to that delicate work, I popped in one of the greatest gifts my mom gave me this winter.. old video footage of the family from back when Billy and I were the exact same ages as Connor and Willow are now.  I was such an awkward goofy dork in 9th grade. I avoided the camera and when I didn't I had this derpy look in every shot... that is except for the one where I smile just before turning to hit Bill. No wonder he didn't like me! 



Lots of laughs in those clips... and how wonderful to see my Pops lumbering and lounging. 



And time demands I end this rambling here. So I will simply leave you with the smile that has long warmed my heart. A little Rainbow Sunshine right here. TTFN


















No comments:

Post a Comment