Pages

Saturday, March 4, 2017

We'll make great pets!

I can't believe that it has been a month or so since my last post here. The flu took hold of the household and rotated through us. This gave me the house to myself for all of three days in 4 weeks.  Now we are all fairly well recovered (except for a fibro flare up that hit me like a bag of bricks).

Ive been looking forward to everyone being well once again and returning to "normal" however, the kids have stayed home all this week because it is Ski Break Week, which was poorly timed as the  temperatures soared into the 60s, broke records and melted all the snow. As of today though, the temperatures have plummeted once again and we have a wind chill of -12 going on and the white stuff is falling. It was nice while it lasted. The locals claim that we are due for at least one or two more major snow events this season.  We will see.

Apparently True Spring doesn't usually arrive until the end of April... beginning of May. I am sincerely  looking forward to long buried seeds springing to life. There is a red berry bush of some sort that still bears fruits that sits just outside my office window. Red cardinals and other song birds frequent it often for a nibble. I look forward to when the widows are open and I can finally hear them singing loud and clear. Just a few months more.

We are looking at putting up a greenhouse and we spoke to the guy about setting up solar. We will not be off grid but the panels will be ours.

Greg's rash disappeared after 3 days. The final consensus was that it's source was viral. He has since been in the hot tub without trouble and we have not changed our laundry soap or body products and there has not been any sign of re-occurrence

Anyway, last weekend, Willow and I took a little road trip over to New Hampshire. It was sort of a fascinating experience. Now Vermont is all mountain range and moose. The culture is very much like a mix of the "State of Jefferson" and Northern Nevada.  I can't even detect an accent. Vermont is very homey.

New Hampshire not so much. New Hampshire is one state over and is bordered on the East by the Atlantic ocean (4 hours away). We could tell we were in another world the minute we passed the border. The land flattened out  and scenery took on a very distinct and even creepy feel that sort of said "You don't belong here." While I don't know much of the history, it felt strongly (in parts) as though the spirits of hostile native Americans lingered there waiting to ambush.

Dotting our route were numerous far flung antique shops housing other mystery's of the past. Which cast an eerie vibe as well.And as for the people and the culture, I could not help compare them to Oakie Oregonians. Faces covered in huge unkept beards speaking mumbled words.  

It was a very strange experience.  However, we were there for a purpose and that was to meet and adopt a 3 year old wrinkly faced Bull Mastiff name Rose. Rose is the most low key, non energetic dog I have ever met. All she wants to do is crawl into your lap and cuddle. She is extremely sweet despite her fierce bulldog mug.

Speaking of pets, I realized that I have not really posted much about Dabella (Willow's cat) Mostly that is because she is Willows cat and she has not bonded much with the rest of the household yet. She was feral and is extremely skittish. She only comes out late at night to prowl around. Slowly she is letting herself be seen more and we have introduced her and Rose. Eventually she will integrate more but it is going to take her time. That said.. the following little video (A compilation of kids, pets and laughter) has a clip of when Willow met Dabella so you can get a sense of this cautious creature.




Rose has also taken quite a shine to Greg. 


The only other major thing that happened this month is that we are now receiving our CSA (Consumer supported Agriculture) shares.


A big bag of veggies fresh from the farm. I am now learning things like how to use celery roots and  beets. Time to get cookin! 






No comments:

Post a Comment