Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Speaking of Rain

Hummingbird and I must have made some impression on someone this morning during our stroll to the beach. The day started out typically enough but the mood quickly changed when I received a message from one of her teachers expressing concern over her current failing grade in math. This led to a firm yet quiet discussion about expectations and efforts. After which, invariably racked with emotion, she sobbed long and hard. I comforted. Not much later the police showed up. They didn't interfere, but they sat there and watched.. stared really.. and when we began our journey home ( I made sure to smile and say hello as we passed by and hummingbird offered a nod)... they too moved on. It was strange being sized up by the authorities especially when there was no conflict/situation to be corrected or monitored.


This was not the first firm discussion about expectations and efforts that I had to indulge in this week. Although yesterday it was directed at my little tree climber. This one took place within our four walls and no police were present. But lessons were addressed and tear were shed.  Ultimately my talk with her boiled down to .. "don't quit before you even try."  How important is that to learn? Its a major life lesson! Id rather her learn it now then find her giving up on challenges when she is older and they are of more consequence. As any adult can attest to, our challenges become harder as we age. Our responsibilities intensify and... if you give up.. you have lost before you even start. Dig in and at least try! If you don't succeed . well that is ok. As long as you gave it your best go.


I  don't like playing the heavy. I don't like laying down lines. I don't like confrontation. And I don't like being put in a position to have to do those things. My nature is more of the huggy/lovey/nurturing type.  But as a mom and caring about the future of these children, I sometimes have to. It pains me enough to make me weep. But it would hurt me far worse to see them fail in their futures because I didn't take the time to make some corrections now.

P.S. The sierras are in for some major snow this weekend! (It is pouring!)

Love you Mom! Looking forward to the next time I see you!


No comments:

Post a Comment