Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

swimming in the luxuries of home

ahhh... vacation. Ive grown lazy and been sleeping in until 10. With the rain, we have spent our weekend indoors watching movies and lounging. The Yule tide lads have begun making thier appearances and have aided us in these idle pursuits with gifts of blankets and a board game called CAMP. Its all about forest and animal facts. Did you know a group of unicorn is called.. a blessing? I think that was a joke but maybe not. Did you know a group of owls is called a parliament (wha?) That one I know is true. The lads also delivered an air pistol. They have not broken anything this year (We have kept them well fed) though they have made quite a bit of noise every night.

These last few days, I have also made it a point of getting to the beach every day. If for nothing but taking a look see. I can't begin to say how much I miss my daily sojourns to the seaside. My toes in the sand, the roar of crashing waves rumbling up through shoeless feet, body trembles, heart lifts,  mind drifts. mmmmmm.. I need to do this more often.

One one of these trips to the ocean I had Splash along. We were walking down this back road. off to the side, a yard full of dogs yapping wildly as they are prone to do. Another couple walking a dog. Tiny white teacup of a thing. Splash, reminded of flounder, wanted to play and in attempting to greet the other dog slipped out of his collar. The woman was panicked and did nothing but stand there and scream.  I apologized and leashed Splash with no problem but the woman was mortified despite the fact that her pup was in no way harmed just startled. She glared at me as if to say "You and your dog are monsters! The cops should lock you up for scaring fefe so!"  I wish I could have explained why splash acted as he did and why she needed to calm down but they had turned and were walking quickly away stabbing glares shot over shoulder to try and shame/blame me. My big dog was in no way going to devour her little dog despite her thoughts to the contrary. Her response is funny but human. We have no way of understanding why things happen that are outside of our control yet we make assumptions as to the cause and we lay blame when the reality is there is none to lay. As horrified as her face/stance and demeanor indicated, this woman will be pissed way into next week. And for what? One friendly dog became a little too friendly. Hardly anything to ruin your vacation over.

Recently sticky pistons left for a week for work during which time he ran out of some important meds. His prescription was also up so he was off of them for a few days. This is not a pleasant experience however when he went in for a check up he indicated that he wished to see if he could get off of them. Who wants to be a slave to a bottle? The dr. cut back his dose in half. This has been interesting. Because of his previous withdraw his body took to the 1/2 dose quickly. His discomfort abated. This has allowed him to have a good view of how the medication works. On the lower dosage his mind is racing. His senses are hyperactive. He is overloaded with stimulation. Overloading to the point of almost going haywire. And this is at half a dose. Without the meds at all the overactive data sensory imputs stimulation is just to much for the boy to handle. Overestimation equals angst and irritation.. gives him an itchy trigger finger. His current dose is just enough to stave off  most of the annoyance but he still fills completely overwhelmed with information. So much so he is going to go back to his regular dosage. Fascinating how our brain chemistry functions.

What else? Not to much. Christmas is upon us. As my mom came here for Thanksgiving, she was headed to my brothers for this holiday and so this is our first Christmas at home in I don't know how long. Makes the season feel a little incomplete.. but a lot more peaceful! I wish her and my family in Washington the best.

New foods! My CSA has been bringing beets and chard and leeks and bok choy. Ive been getting to make all sorts of new dishes... most of them pretty good!!

All My Love... Mom!




No comments:

Post a Comment