Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Thanks for calling the Food Network Hotline. Billing is nine-ninety-five for each sixty-second period. To accept, say "crème fraîche."

I've never had Creme Fraiche before. Come to think of it I have never had a 7 course meal  before (have I? nothing comes directly to mind)... let alone one that was entirely vegetarian... at least not before this past weekend that is. Check the menu.

All ingredients fresh and local. The chef arriving from Big Sur to "pop in" and create a dinner at Happy Girl Kitchen... a local lunch diner which provides local organic and fresh vegan, gluten free, and vegetarian soups sandwiches and baked goods as well as canned and pickled items for retail sale. Bread and pickeled veggies didn't make the menu but were served as well ..hence the 7 courses.  The food, which just kept rolling right out, was not overly seasoned. The natural flavors of the veg's were paired well with each other and allowed to mingle in ways on my tongue that were subtle and balanced. I will admit that it did not cater to my spicy curry loving palate but it did not offend it either. And I was pleasantly surprised with each and every bite. 

Sticky Pistons and I did not dine alone. Making the evening even more enjoyable was the company of three brand new friends and one newish but already dear friend.. the lovely and darling d. who I have worked with at Surfrider for almost a year but whom Sticky Pistons has only crossed paths with on rare occasion.  It was a seasonal celebration of the winter harvest and a moment of community and thanksgiving. Good times!

In other news...
It has been raining and pouring but we have not let that get us down. We have been singing in the rain and making retractable headed turtles out of legos. 






As I was going through my pics I stumbled on this one which didn't make the thanksgiving day upload... Had to share.




Other events and going on.. Earlier last week the kids and I joined Sticky Pistons and Mark, an old business aquaintence  of his for dinner at Roys on 17 mile drive. This is one of the most upscale resorts on the peninsula and the kids were dressed in their best the minute they rolled out of bed in anticipation of the fine dining experience. Of course the service was wonderful and the food superb.  Marks company however could make even the modest meal be well enjoyed. Mark has known Sticky  from the time he worked at Kraft. He is a sales rep/service tech for some of the industrial equipment that is standard in many manufacturing plants and he has watched Greg rise through the ranks and come into his own. They have maintained a friendly, mutually respectful and yet professional working relationship through it all  Mark has taken the family to dinner on a number of occasions when he passes through and so has become a friend of the family's as well. 

And yet in other arenas.. I miss Hockey! But what can you do?! Perhaps its time to get my little dude back in the game. Yesterday he mentioned to me (on his own) that he wants to go back. None of the other sports we have tried have really spoken to him although he does like our times at the pool. Anyway,  Ill need to get him new gear as he sure has grown since he first started out on blades. He is going to be a big man. 

The week ahead looks to be chalk full of work and the fighting off of sniffles. And so it begins! 
Love you Mom!




No comments:

Post a Comment