Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Dreams Memories and Heaven .. oh and don't forget the Sunshine

We loaded up and headed out on a cool foggy morning. First stop the organic Castoro Winery. (Castoro means Beaver in Italian!) It was a perfect place to stop for a picnic lunch of fruits, crackers and cheeses. The adults also enjoyed some wine tasting. Castoro's Cabernet is their signature wine and makes a palatable appearance in most of their mixes. We ended up picking up a few bottles and a case of grape juice. Yum!

After that it was relatively smooth sailing into LA. Our roommate had suggested the phone app called Waze. It is a navigation application and it worked exceptionally well in routing us around backed up traffic conditions. By the time the trip was said and done we had found our way on 8 different freeways rather than just sit on the 5 .. waiting. Excellent Ap... it even tells you where cops are hiding. Not that we needed it. Greg was driving (I fell down some stairs before we left and tweaked my knee and so in an effort to minimize my discomfort Greg took the wheel)  and in an attempt save on gas mileage he drove very nicely. Its just a cool notable feature of the app. which I was able to play with being the Navigator. Anyway, we arrived at our hotel unscathed but road weary and took a break at the pool while the last of our group gathered up with us. I was not at all expecting the water to offer up such a unique reflection... Several years ago Greg, the kids and I had been at Disneyland. I had not realized that I had booked the adjacent hotel to the one we had last time. In fact they share the same pool. This was a very pleasant surprise and left me reflecting over the ground we have covered in the last few years. Its been a ride for sure! Additional we knew our way around which made navigating easy. The "where to find dinner" question was not really a question. So with the lot of us in tow .. we went ..


Walking in LA..

(Not the link/song you thought is was!) and landed at Johnny Rockets for a pleasant dinner that the majority of us could agree on. Some of the music selections in the Jukebox were bizarre. Tommy Tutone (they sang 8675309) and Hall and Oats just don't fall into my idea of malt shop melodies. I was checking out the playlist but now I see the profile.... You know what they say about noses! Anyway...




 The temps were in the high 80's (Lovely weather for the trip) and the sky was slightly overcast.. Or was that smog?? As I watched the sun rise in the morning, I was reminded of the poor air quality. This looked like a sun rise in Phoenix.  Layers of the horizon glowing in sick yellows, oranges and greens and the sun almost shining red as its rays penetrated the atmosphere. Freshening up later that night revealed a black smudge on the washcloth where my face had been. I may have been down on Heather and others for their use of lotions and potions but when your skin is under constant attack like it is in the urban sprawl, I can understand the need to pamper your skin. I can understand how it ages quickly. Contextually it all makes a certain sense. 

Also I was wrong. I admit it now. I jumped to quickly to a conclusion based on pure conjuncture. I expected the worst and what I got was the "Happiest Place on Earth." Seriously, Disneyland was not the assault on my senses that I had anticipated. I was amazed by everything. It was spotless. The background noise was tolerable and even programed to make you happy. The rides themselves.. well..  The detail to attention and the clockwork precision that went into creating them... All of them.. from  the oldest "Its a small world" to the newest "Tower of Terror"... amazing. Utterly amazing.

We split up at the front gates. It was a snap decision based on a months hearing of complaints and plans and weighing course. For the most part, I don't think it mattered to any of us what the plan was or which way we went first.. just as long as we had fun.. and we all did ..  But it mattered to one. One who needed the two week break from her roommate to start at the front gates.

Two week break?! Yes. Well that's its own story right there. Its a story of young love. Irie's boyfriend of a year, Chance, joined us at Disneyland. He lives in Palm Springs and their relationship for the most part is carried out over the internet, gaming and through music.  His family and hers have known each other and gone camping with each other for years and after the park she left to spend two weeks vacationing with his family.  Not many boys would have my blessing but Chance does. After the fireworks and the gates of the magic kingdom closed, Chance offered her a promise ring. We knew it was coming but it still makes me weepy. Even now a couple days later.. just thinking about it and still Im crying.

Anyway.. let me dry my eyes and carry on.. We also got in a few social visits. A person can not do everything in the parks in two days. Its just not practical. And you have to eat sometime to so.. in the spirit of making the most.. we slipped out of the park on Friday and joined up with our pal Liem at Roys Hawaiian Fusion CafĂ©. Some how or another I was going to work Hawaii into my vacation this year and what a way to do it! The roll of easy laughter and conversation! the delicious drinks! the food! the food! the food!... mmmm sushi!...  and Waaaarm Hugs! Liem is good company.

Saturday morning before heading out, Heather joined us for brunch with her son, Hunter. The place was great.. very accommodating.. especially to all of Heathers commands, requirements and requests. She is every bit the California actress and she makes me laugh. I could not picture her anywhere else in the world. In fact if we were anywhere else in the world, she'd come off a bit as a pre-Madonna. But not in LA. Again .. it is all in context. It is nice to know my childhood friend is she is right were she belongs. While we chowed down on our we shared toothpick tricks and jokes and reveled in the details of our trip. During brunch a guy came up to our table wanting to sell us water guns (stolen?) ..  I didn't realize at first that we were being assaulted by consumerism and went to strike up a conversation. Heather quickly cut me off and sent him on his way. When I looked at her quizzically.. she just said.. "Oh No!" shook her head... put up her hand... and I realize LA is a different world. One it may be best not to talk to strangers in. At least once you are out of the parks... contemplating  the juxtaposition of the World of Dreams and the reality of the city that surrounds it could easily turn into a huge research paper which I am not going to attempt at the moment. Anyway.. that is where we wrapped up things up and hit the road home where a clean cool breeze and light rains greeted us.

All told it was an outstanding trip. To see the slide show for the winery... Click here

To see the pics of our time at the park.. Click here.

I didn't get any pictures of our time with friends but those memories are etched on my heart and not so easily forgotten!






No comments:

Post a Comment