This week has been fraught with good news and bad news. Ups and downs and turn arounds.
Through it a bit of insanity abounds. But only a little.
Willow and Connor have both been selected to attend ISM. ISM? Yes ISM! International School Of Monterey. This is a public charter school which children get enrolled via lottery system. Ive applied to the lottery system every year since we moved. It is a very prestigious school with a great academic record. It focuses on the sciences. And they offer fencing lessons. Willow is stoked! Connor not so much. But this will be a good thing for him to practice a little more structure.
So you ask why stop homeschooling... Well.. I can only give them a limited perspective. This has been great in so many ways. I have loved it. So have they. But I also see where I fall short. How hearing mostly one voice does not necessarily give them a large enough world perspective.. among other things.. mostly social. For in reality, I may be sweet and nice and smart and all that but Im not out there among people as I generally don't like them. But the world is full of people and the kids need to learn to relate a little more. This break from the system has been healing and good for all of us. It has given the kids a chance to focus on the curriculum. To allow Willow to take a breath from the turbulent social waters of Jr. High and become independent and confident in herself without being needlessly torn down and for Connor to take a break from the stress of keeping up with others whose motor skills have outpaced his own. By the time he goes back I hope to have him pretty much moving at a good and comfortable writing speed. Though that will mean some dedicated practice over the summer months. Time to start looking into Uniforms!
That's the ism. Now to address the schism.
The landlord is none to thrilled that I have more people living here and did not mention it sooner. I will admit that I was short sighted in mentioning it to him but.. If I got pregnant in this home with triplets.. hes not the first person Id call... and its not that different of a boat... unexpected growth of a family unit. Anyway, he has kicked them out and so they are currently couch hopping with the neighbors and others and shelters while we get things settled and home regulations with the home association regarding the number of people in a home are addressed. I know I have been looking.. feelers out.. for another home to move into. But the truth is that Id rather not have to move, especially with the kids getting into this school. And the hassle. Who likes to move? I can't recall if I mentioned it but it looks as though buying a house is out. The foreclosure being what it was. Still to soon. So I have had an eye on rentals. Not a whole lot out there but some maneuverability can be found with regards to it. When I talked to the land lord I also asked him if he would consider lowering the rent. I did this before knowing that the additional people was going to be such a thorn in his side. He recently refinanced (or attempted to) and when he called five months ago to say that the appraiser would be by. I asked him then if he got it re-fied if he would consider dropping the rent some. He said he would take it into consideration. I had not talked to him since. My bringing it up again along with the new roommates really made him see red and he told me that if the homeowners research bared out where the additional people were not an issue, that he would probably raise the rent.
Anyway.. I don't know what is going to happen in the next little while. All we can do is see how the pins fall.
In other news, the engine in the car greg traded for the motorcycle is completely destroyed. Now to figure out how to contend with that as well. ugghh.
I know it all sounds like lots of chaos and drama.. and to some extent it is.. but I recognize all of these things are but mole hills and I know we can and will navigate them without taking on any major water. We can contend with these challenges. They are minor all things considered.
No comments:
Post a Comment