Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

I've got good music on my radio

 
The house is quiet but for the hum of the fridge and the swish of the washing machine. Greg off holed up in a snowy hotel and conference center in  Essex, Verrmont.
 The rest of the house asleep. Gin and tonic course through my veins. A rare pleasure.. reminds me of a hot summer and the dream of cool breezes carrying the scent of juniper and pine. Things continue to bloom and spring has me diving into all sorts of dark corners. Cleaning out cobwebs and organizing clutter (this week I have tackled the kitchen pantry and fridge, the budget, my bedroom closet). The action carries over not only in the physical but also in the mental realms as well as I take stock of where I am and comparing it to where I wanted to be now when I dreamt 5 years ago. I didn’t fall to far from the mark. Pretty damn dead on if you ask me.. But that doesn’t mean this bushy leafy life of mine doesn’t need a little pruning and clipping to maximize its health and vitality. With that in mind and the knowledge that in just a matter of time we should be transplanting somewhere else inland (Cost space considerations being taken well into account and all options ..few as they are.. are being weighed), I have put in my resignation to Surfrider. Two years of dedicated work and commitment is enough. I can’t continue to juggle that work and everything else. When I retire, I can be the most awesomest volunteer ever! But for now my attention is divided and my children will always win. If I had the time...  But I don’t.. and so I must say farwell.  I have told the chapter that I will remain on through May in order to finish off some duties and transfer responsibilities. Knowing that my job is finally wrapping up has come as something of a relief. I was never looking for a not paid full time job. Not that I spend THAT much time a day on the organization, but it would have to be if I wanted to carry out my duties to fullest. Anyway.. moving on to champion other things. What those things will be?!  ... Time to dream up the next 5 year plan.
 

Easter/Ostara
A trip to the fish market on the wharf... sky is grey... and there isn't any swell.. but..

 















Fresh and local King Crab and calamari for dinner...








Easter Baskets and candy...

 
 
 










 
An ”Immerse yourself in Spring and the awakening world around you” walk with Mrs. Vicci...




 

 Died eggs and had a hunt...





followed by a fantastic feast.

I would call it an almost perfect day. (I do like my days warmer you know.)

 
April Fools
Sand City Silliness?? Yes that carton says 07 and yes it was that rotten. x2 containers. The store didn't even care!


 
 
and the closet cleaning came to a SCREETCHing halt
when I stumbled upon a jem of a collectors item. Or maybe its not a collectors item... Im not sure. I looked it up to see and I found this description of the Save by the bell board game (it is still in its original packaging)  http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/368.html  reading this almost makes we want to break it open. I know I could win a date with Zack!!
 
Ummm... so now the question.. now that I have found it.. do I keep it?




Kapow!!
Greg was certain our hunter safety cards had been lost in time and space. The course taken when we were 12 and 15 respectfully. Of course I have them! He owes me something big for this one. Something worth two weekends and 15 bucks (which is what it cost to retake the class).. . Now he can try to join my cousin for some backwoods Nevada "fun." An excursion to the far corners of Nevada where Greg grew up and learned to hunt and fish and live off the land alongside his father. Some people shudder at the thought of slaughtering an animal for food. And to a large degree I would prefer to live a vegetarian lifestyle. But the truth is  not much grows in northern Nevada and hunting is more of a necessity than it is here in the heart of agricultural abundance. Anyway.. A trip of this sort would be good for Gregs spirit, reconnect with the land and his dads spirit. My dad's spirit will probably tag along too. But since he can't eat it, he's not likely going to be carrying a gun.  Speaking of Hunters Safety, I am lining up the children to take the course themselves in the early fall.

Would you like window dressing with that chow?
So someone asked me about what I really thought about the cheese cake factory... having glanced over it last time I wrote.. well... hmmm... it was as good a Chilli's dressing up to go to the mall. A large selection of mediocre food wrapped up in fancy atmosphere. Look the walls and lighting are pretty.. Im so distracted I don't stop to think about what uninspired food I am really eating.  But there is cheesecake. A rare indulgence. And the cheesecake is goooood... but... In reality, we can make our own damn cheesecake! Service? Again mediocre. They spilled the appetizer in Gregs lap but they took care to bring another without charge. Otherwise the restaurant was super jumping and perfunctory attention was all that we received. Again.. a run of the mill experience.  Anyway.. I suppose that I could excuse the blandness of this restaurant if I had have been able to enjoy the company I was keeping. If I am out with wonderful people with whom I am capable of conversing... the quality of the meal and service can be poor and I might not even notice.. gorging on ideas leaving my mind full of higher thoughts. eh.. who cares that the food tastes like cardboard!  Not so at the cheesecake factory. The din and drone of the other diners effectively made speaking, with any sort of deliberateness, a chore and a challenge. I don't like it when I have to raise my voice. Anyway.. tell us how you really feel.. umm... yep. so there you have it. Cheesecake factory.. Not super stoked at the idea of ever going back.

Catching a Breath of Air
I took Connor in for a follow up at the Asthma and Allergy clinic. The new inhaler has improved his general lung functioning. We are now working our way through the insurance to see about getting him allergy shots.

Well.. that brings me to the end.. of everything that comes to mind... in the matter of time.. that I set aside to write all this. Which actually amounts to three nights. P.S I did not drink gin every night... sometimes... there was wine.  Anyway.. a quick congrats to the roomy for quitting smoking, a quick congrats to the kids for jobs well done in school and being awesome little people, to hummingbird for such a big turn around in effort this quarter at school. See.... Hard work does pay off. Look at those grades improve! And since Im sharing strokes.. To Greg for just being awesome.

Oh and one last sound byte... those Craigs List Personals..... All I can do is Chudder (Chuckle/shudder) at the thought. Enough said. Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment